Head lice are parasites that live on the scalp of human beings and use their blood as a daily dose of nourishment. The warmth of a scalp helps them thrive, allowing them to lay nits and cause you a lot of discomfort. Sometimes, the excessive itching can even lead to the creation of scabs, which further get infected due to bacteria.
Most people believe that lice treatment is unnecessary, since they think the infestation might end on its own after a while. But there are a couple of reasons why you should never disregard the existence of lice.
Let’s take a look at the risks of ignoring a lice infestation.
In addition to the emotional distress, sleep disturbance, and widespread chaos they cause, head lice can lead to a number of other health complications if left untreated, including:
This leads to the breakage of the skin due to frequent scratching, and can leave the spot vulnerable to bacterial infections. One such infection is called impetigo, which occurs in children frequently, as their immune systems are still in developing stages.
Impetigo is caused by streptococcus or staphylococcus bacteria. It appears as red sores that can burst and develop crusts. These can rupture and ooze as well.
Children are also at higher risk of developing them because they frequent play in dirty places. Impetigo can also lead to mild soreness and itching.
This is a rare complication, but is still a possibility if lice remain untreated. Since lice feed on human blood, severe and chronic lice infestations can lead to lice sucking blood through your scalp to survive. This can lead to blood loss, iron deficiency and, consequently, anemia.
You can start by taking any signs of itching or tickling in your head seriously. The best way to treat a lice infestation is to catch it early so that you don’t scratch your scalp till it bleeds. You can use a magnifying glass to spot any nits or lice in your hair, or seek professional help to determine whether you’ve been infested or not.
If you indeed have contracted lice, make an appointment with a reliable lice removal service that uses non-toxic and all-natural treatments to rid your hair of lice once and for all. Lice removal treatment is preferred over home remedies and medical products because it doesn’t need to be repeated to become effective, nor will it harm your hair.