Why Using Chemicals for Head Lice Treatment is NOT a Good Idea

“Back in my day, lice were treated by dousing kerosene and setting hair on fire… It was effective in removing hair alright, which means no head lice!”

The above is a purely fictional account yet there is one truth mixed in between the hilarity when talking about lice removal methods used today. Parents still use kerosene in their children’s head to get rid of lice! We all know the dangers of kerosene and other toxic chemicals used specifically for lice removal… or do we?

Dangers of Lice Removal Shampoos

The first step parents usually take when faced with lice infestation is head to a pharmacy and buy specially formulated lice removal shampoo. Lice shampoos are generally featured in two categories:
  • Chemical treatments
  • Natural and in-home lice treatments
Chemical based lice removal treatments come in over-the-counter lice removal products. These chemical treatments are applied topically on the head. OTC lice removal products can also be bought in lotion form. Pediculicide is the fancy name given for “insecticide used on lice”… it’s basically a chemical that kills head lice by attacking their nervous systems and poisoning them!

In Actuality, OTC Lice Treatments Aren’t Effective

Pesticide based lice removal treatments have featured in US households for lice removal since years. In fact, this is the go-to option for oblivious parents! Research shows lice have developed resistance against such chemicals, bringing in a new breed of critters called super or mutant lice.

Are Chemical Treatments Dangerous for Health?

Not only is the effectiveness level incredibly low but lice removal products are also dangerous to your health. Lindane and permethrin, two active chemicals found in most treatments, are also highly toxic. Permethrin is a potentially carcinogenic neurotoxin that causes the following side effects:
  • Runny or stuffy nose
  • Skin irritation or burning
  • Scalp irritation or burning
More and more parents cannot find the time to comb their child’s hair due to work and other commitments. This is the main reason why many choose to use chemical based treatments in the first place! However, growing resistance against chemicals is making this treatment useless and ineffective not to mention incredibly hazardous. Manual nit and lice combing always saves the day when it comes to thorough lice removal! Visit Lice Troopers, lice treatment center Plantation and avail from affordable and professional lice removal services in one sitting! Make an appointment today.