How Lice Are Different From Other Parasites

Across the globe, somewhere between 6 to 12 million have hair that teems with the nasty little buggers that cause your head to itch. It’s well known that the head itches due to lice bites, which for a simple fact means that lice are parasites: that is, an organism that lives on or in another organism, and depends on the “host” for sustenance. Lice, while well under the umbrella of parasitism, differ drastically from other parasites in many regards, and this blog will endeavor to shed light on all the distinguishing elements.

The Good Thing Is: They Are Ectoparasites

Most parasites—especially the more harmless ones—live inside the human body, by virtue of being endoparasites. These include nuisances like roundworms and hookworms, which respectively cause abdominal pain in children and intestinal disorders in adults. Since these parasites live inside the body, they usually surpass notice and can be difficult to get rid of. Lice, however, live outside the human body—all three kinds of them (body lice, hair lice, and pubic lice)—which makes it easier to detect their presence in addition to making it considerably easier to remove them.

They Don’t Hook

Lice are suckers, not hookers. What we mean by this is that they do not attach themselves to the human body for long periods of time to feed, like the leech does. A leech is like lice in many regards: it is a wingless ectoparasite that feeds on blood. Unlike mosquitoes and fleas, it cannot fly. However, it does have a strong sucker at the anterior end of its body. This appendage is not used for sucking blood (even though it is called the sucker) and it instead used to stick to the body of the host. A different body part is used for sucking. Once the leech attaches itself to your skin, it is hard to pull off. Usually people use salt to shake it off. Lice are not characterized by any such appendages and can hence be easily scratched or forced off the skin.

The Biggest Difference: They Aren’t Harmful

Yes they are injurious to the point where their harmful effects on a person’s hygiene reputation and overall wellbeing is concerned (nobody likes being busy scratching their head all the time), lice are generally harmless insofar that they do not cause any health issues. Unlike other blood sucking critters like mosquitoes—which can carry deadly bacteria that cause disastrous diseases the likes of dengue and malaria—lice do not carry any smaller houseguests on their backs or in their bellies. So while we all agree that lice are just as gross and just as annoying, we can all take a breather in the fact that they’re all harmless and the worst that they do is drink a little blood. Or no, the worst that they do is definitely making you look like your hands are useless: because they’re always up in your head, scratching.

Getting Rid Of Lice

While they do differ from others of their kind and do not cause diseases, they are very much an inconvenience and a source of constant botheration. Often children have to miss school due to their pestilent presence, which can be seriously detrimental in the education department. If your child’s head looks like it might be infested by lice, you’d better get in touch with a professional lice removal salon Kendall or give them a call at 800-403-5423 today! You can also get regular screenings and become a member for more benefits such as free screenings, discounted rates, easy appointments, and treatments.