May is National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Week, a time to raise awareness and focus attention on a condition that’s more common than most people realize. While we are all familiar with the common allergies among children, specifically peanuts and latex, the list of potentially threatening allergens is much longer. Did you know that more children are affected by allergies and allergic conditions than any other chronic condition? An estimated 40% of children suffer an allergy of some type. According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, “An allergy is when your immune system reacts to a foreign substance, called an allergen. It could be something you eat, inhale into your lungs, inject into your body or touch. This reaction could cause coughing, sneezing, itchy eyes, a runny nose and a scratchy throat. In severe cases, it can cause rashes, hives, low blood pressure, breathing trouble, asthma attacks and even death.” But what does this have to do with head lice, those creepy, crawly bugs that inhabit your hair and scalp? What many people don’t realize is that head lice produce an allergic reaction in the body, which causes the intense itching that characterizes an infestation. When the head louse parasite bites into the scalp to access blood for sustenance, saliva is released. And it is this saliva that produces the reaction that leads to the itching. Left untreated, the bites can cause welts and even bacterial infections when the skin is broken from scratching. While not all people will experience itching as a result of lice bites—some people are not allergic to the saliva—the majority of individuals will. In the case of most allergies, there is no cure. However, in the event of the allergic reaction produced by head lice, removing the offending parasite will effectively end the allergic response. The task for parents is to remove the allergy-causing parasite without causing further harm. While many will instinctively reach for the drug store remedies, they often don’t realize that these products are highly toxic and present a long list of potential side effects. Some of those side effects being further irritation to the skin, plus respiratory problems, which is a particular concern to parents of children with asthma. As these products are minimally effective, it’s a lot of risk for very little return At Lice Troopers, however, we’ve found a better way to get rid of these bugs. Our method is safe, pesticide free and hypo allergenic, presenting no risk to children suffering allergies and/or asthma. Using chemical free products and a thorough combing by experts, we take care of the lice problem in just one sitting. It’s pain-free, risk-free and hassle free. And best of all, it’s guaranteed. Our experts are here to serve your family in a way that provides total peace of mind. If you suspect you have been exposed to lice, don’t waste time in setting up an appointment for an pesticide free removal treatment. For more information, or to schedule an appointment, house call, school or camp consultation, please visit our website at: or call 1-800-403-LICE. Our four Miami treatment center locations are here to serve you: Bay Harbor Lice Treatment Center, 1005 Kane Concourse, Suite 212, Bay Harbor Island, FL 33154 Coral Gables Lice Treatment Clinic, 2100 Ponce De Leon Blvd, Coral Gables, FL 33154 Hollywood Treatment Center, 5735 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood, FL 33021 Kendall Treatment Center, 13027 SW 88th St, Miami, FL 33186